Removalist Checklist to Make Life Easier and Less Stressful
A Week Before The Move
- Collect or return all items that have been loaned out, borrowed or being repaired.
- Dispose of any items that you’re not taking with you.
- Check your garage, shed, in ceiling and under the house areas to select items you wish to take. Dispose of poison and flammable liquids.
- Finalise all accounts.
- Cancel all home deliveries e.g. paper, milk, Avon.
- Contact utilities for final readings, e.g. Electricity, Telephone.
- We can do the disconnection / reconnection of all these services as a free service.
- Check access to the property and doorways making sure that there is adequate space for removalist’s vehicle and removal of articles. Be mindful of overhead lines, trees and narrow openings.
- If packing for yourself, commence packing cartoons. Clearly label with the room and contence of items, e.g. Lounge- CDs, video tapes etc. use appropriate size cartons book/wine or tea chests. * Remember: we cannot insure owner packed cartons and if you can’t lift them, we may have trouble lifting them.*
Two Days Before The Move
- Organise other transportation for personal documents (e.g. birth certificates, deeds), jewellery, money, etc. as you may be need them prior to delivery.
- Arrange for your electrician to disconnect or replace any light fittings you are taking with you.
- Remove curtains or blinds you intend to take with you.
- Empty lawn mower, whipper snipper, chain saw or other machinery which are being taken, of fuel.
- Check all containers of non-flammable liquids are tightly sealed and placed in waterproof containers or plastic bags.
- Empty food from your refrigerator and freezer and defrost, whip dry and leave to air. Secure shelving and crispers and motors if necessary.
One Day Before The Move
- Organise items you wish packed together for the removalists for ease of packing.
- Remove breakables, liquids and heavy items from drawers.
- Empty washing machine and disconnect hoses and place inside machine ready for removals.
- Thoroughly drain and dismantle waterbeds.
- Check with removalists regarding start time and make sure that someone is on hand when they arrive and someone is present until the completion of the loading.
- Organise someone to be on hand when the removal team arrive.
- Make sure someone can be at your premises until everything has been packed and loaded.
- For safety reasons, make arrangements for children and pets to be cared for on the day of the move.
- Empty cupboards and pack items ready for loading.